The Optimist Club of Brooklin, Ontario
Chartered September 28, 1987 in Central Ontario District
General Meetings 2nd & 4th Wednesdays 7:30-9:00pm,
Brooklin Community Centre (Optimist Room), 8 Vipond Rd., Brooklin.
Creed | Brief History of Optimist International | Optimist Clubs of Central Ontario
Calendar of Events
Shreya Patel's 'Girl Up'
Mon. Jan 21, 2019 6:30-9:00 pm, Brooklin High School.
Join us for a screening of Shreya Patel's documentary 'Girl Up' & panel of Durham Region human trafficking experts.
This short film depicts what human trafficking looks like within a Canadian Context. In the documentary, Emily Forward, a Scarborough native shares her story of how she became trafficked. She explains the stages she experienced of recruitment, movement, and exploitation. The film showcases how human trafficking happens in Canada and how it can happen in any area like a high school in Scarborough, or the financial district in Toronto.
After the film we have an panel of local experts to answer your questions about human trafficking in Durham Region. We are excited to be partnering with members of the Durham Region Coalition to end Human Trafficking, Durham Region Police, Bethesda House, Lakeridge Health & Victim Services to help answer your questions about human trafficking in our community.
Attendees of the event should expect to learn what human trafficking looks like in Canada. The event is open to all ages should a parent feel their child is interested in attending. While we understand the topic is sensitive, it is also important for children to be aware of what human trafficking looks like as they may be the first to identify a concerning situation of a peer.
All proceeds of the event will go to support youth in our community. The Optimist club of Brookin is pleased to bring this unique educational opportunity to our community.
If you or someone you know would like to attend but is unable to purchase a ticket please contact the organizer Denise Laframboise at email@example.com to be added to the attendance list.
An educational evening to learn about human trafficking Click the link to register on EventBrite. Tickets $6.
You've Been Slimed!
Sat. Jan 26, 2019 9:00 10:00 or 11:00 am, Brooklin Community Centre & Library.
This session will give your child the opportunity to decorate and play with slime. They will go home their own unique creation. Each child will also have some time to colour a picture and get their picture taken with a special guest character. So bring your child to have some fun with slime.
A great activity for children Click the link to register on EventBrite. Tickets $10.
Family Fun Under the Stars
Sat. Feb 16, 2019 - 10:00 am to 2:30 pm, Brooklin High School.
With the ROM's Travelling Planetarium, a great event for all ages. Learn more about the stars and our universe through a planetarium show, games and activities.
A great activity for all ages Click the link to register on EventBrite. Tickets $14.81.
Youth Dances are held in Brooklin Optimist Gymnasium, 8 Vipond Rd. from 7:00-9:15pm. Only for students in grades 5 to 8. $8.
Winning Video by Brooklin Optimist Members
Check out our winning video: What it means to be an Optimist produced and staring members of the Optimist Club of Brooklin.
Youth Programs . . .
- Breakfast with Santa, pancakes & sausage and a visit with old St Nicholas. (Nov 25, 2018)
- Christmas in the Village, (Nov 23, 2018)
- Counsellor in Training (Aug 6-23, 2019)
- Day Camp (Jul 2-Aug 30, 2019)
- Easter Egg Hunt, (Apr 20, 2019)
- Essay Contest Deadline Feb 12, 2019. "Chasing Optimism in the Face of Challenges".
- Harvest Festival, horse drawn wagon rides (Sep 14, 2019)
- Here We Grow - Potted Gardens, children planting their own potted garden. (May 8, 2019)
- Durham's Best/Mini Idol, ages to 12 (February - May)
- Spelling Bee at Brooklin Spring Fair, sponsorship (Jun 1, 2019)
- Student Employment program (Jun-Sep)
- Youth Appreciation Week
- Youth Dances grades 5-8 only (September-June)
- Junior Optimist Club for school youth in grades 5 to 8, in membership with JOI - Junior Optimist International (Thursdays twice monthly)
- Youth Octagon Club for school youth in grades 9 to 12, in membership with JOI - Junior Octagon International (Mondays twice monthly)
Fundraising . . .
- Childhood Cancer Campaign in benefit of Hearth Place Cancer Support Centre for kids.
- The Red Barn Bingo fundraiser (1st Sunday of month 9pm-1am)
Civic Projects . . .
- Brooklin Optimist Gymnasium, Community Centre & Library project (2010-2013) $100,000 lead donation
- Canadian Children's Optimist Foundation, funding scholarships.
- Friend of Youth Fund, for Brooklin Elementary School Students.
- Scouts Canada 13th Whitby Group Sponsor, supporting youth in outdoor skills development.
- Childhood Cancer Campaign, helping through donations to Hearth Place Cancer Support Centre, Oshawa.
- Pitch-In Brooklin, Vipond Road clean up (Apr 20, 2019 9am-11am)
- Optimist Park of Brooklin
CAPTION: This gazebo was the cornerstone of Optimist Park of Brooklin project completed in September 1996.
The park project was in co-operation with Sorbara Developments and the Town of Whitby.
In addition to the gazebo, there is a baseball diamond, basketball court, soccer field, playground apparatus, walking trails and foundation trees.
Our club's initial investment was in excess of $20,000.
Club Accomplishments (1987-2017)
. . .
- Club selected as Number 1 club in Zone
8 of the Central Ontario District of Optimist International (8
- Achieved Honour Club (18 times) and Distinguished Club status (6 times under presidents Brian Wick, Sabina James, Grant Millson, Robert Baker, Maureen Jackson and Karen Santacona)
- Raised total of $3,233.20 for Childhood Cancer Campaign and received a matching grant of $3,000 to a goal total of $6,233.20 for Hearth Place Cancer Support Centre.
Become a Member
An Optimist is a member of a community service club geared to help the youth in the local community. Each club runs hands-on programs most needed by the community as decided by its club members. By being a member of an Optimist club the member grows as an individual by learning more about their community, gaining many friends with similar goals and improving the community that he or she lives in.
Consider not only the benefit to the youth of the Brooklin area, but the fun and fellowship that you will receive by being a member of the Optimist Club with its motto "Bringing Out the Best in Kids". Contact us to receive a club meeting invitation or attend an activity to see Optimism in action. We look forward to talking with you!
Optimist International (OI) was founded on June 19, 1919 and there are now 70,000 members in 3,000 clubs who are helping youth. OI is divided in 50 Districts and one of them is Central Ontario District which has 1,400 members in 61 clubs. Become an Optimist! Why would you want to be anything else?
2018-2019 Board of Directors (Effective October 1, 2018)
President: Tanja Coughlan
Vice Presidents: Denise Laframboise and Grace Renwick
Secretary: Nelly Temraz
Treasurer: Mary Wick
Directors: Sue Bullard, Jim McGrorey, Leslie Smith, Bev Tarren
Past Presidents: Effie Coughlan, Brian Wick
firstname.lastname@example.org 1-105 Industrial Dr,
Whitby, ON L1N 5Z9 Canada
1-105 Industrial Dr,
Whitby, ON L1N 5Z9 Canada
1-105 Industrial Dr,
Whitby, ON L1N 5Z9 Canada
905-924-1966 Fax: 905-430-8716